Target Launch: 2024
Key Science Questions to be Investigated
- What are the transport and kinetic effects of non-condensable gases on condensation and associated depressurization?
- What is the effect of the diffusive transport barrier at the liquid/vapor interface?
- What effect do non-condensable gases have on condensation by penetrating the Knudsen layer?
- What is the effect of a unique class of Marangoni convection on diverting the liquid jet away from the liquid/vapor interface and changing flow structures in the tank?
- How to detect thermal signatures of NCG-induced Marangoni convection with an innovation use of quantum dots for microgravity full field thermometry
- Does non-condensable gas come out of solution at screens or hot spots in microgravity?
Implication of ZBOT-NC Findings for Propellant Tank Design
- If non-condensable gas significantly impedes condensation, there will likely be a major shift toward pressure control design options that use evaporative cooling
|Problem: Is ZBO tank pressure control using a liquid Jet mixing possible in presence of NCGs that affect vapor condensation ?