NASA’s GEER test chamber can be customized for specific conditions or requirements. The facility has been upgraded to allow the transfer of power and data from a test article while under Venus surface conditions. The standard capabilities include:
- Dimensions: 3’ ID x 4’ L (internal) – volume: 811 L
- Pressure (operating): vacuum – 1365 psia (94 bar)
- Temperature (operating): ambient – 1000 °F (538 °C)
- Gases: 8 specialty gases + 1 liquid
- Level of accuracy: OTOO ppb
The GEER chamber can achieve pressures from ambient to 1365 PSI, reach temperatures over 500C and precisely control gas composition for continuous periods of time exceeding several months.
- The End Cap weighs as much as a standard-size SUV
- There is over 2 million pounds of force on the End Cap at typical operating conditions
- Has operated at Venus conditions for a total of 298.5 Earth Days as of Summer 2019
NASA Glenn Research Center also has a smaller test vessel that can simulate many of the same conditions as the larger GEER test facility – but allows a quicker turnaround and lower operating costs.
The capabilities of Mini GEER include:
- Dimensions: 5” ID x 12” L (internal) – initial volume: 4 L
- Pressure (operating): vacuum (rough) – 2706 psia (186 bar)
- Temperature (operating): ambient – 950 °F (510 °C)
- Gases: tri-gas (customizable pre-mix)