University of Illinois Air Cooled PM Machine
- 1.0 MW permanent magnet synchronous motor with a performance goal of 13 kW/kg and efficiency of >96 percent
- Outside rotor with a composite overwrap and permanent magnets.
- Relatively high pole count and fundamental frequency.
- Extensive analysis and subcomponent testing have been done to optimize the electromagnetic, structural, and thermal design.
Aircraft Level Integration
- The motor integrated with the Rolls-Royce LibertyWorks EVE engine concept is shown.
- The motor design is being coordinated with a design and build effort at the University of Illinois to produce a multilevel inverter, which potentially could be used to drive the motor.
- Form wound litz wire fabrication and thermal testing
- Full-speed rotor validation testing was done to ensure the best possible permanent magnet/carbon fiber overwrap rotor design
Back to Electrified Aircraft Propulsion (EAP) for Larger Aircraft
Back to EAP home